Waypoint Proximty Alarms

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
terry-uk

Waypoint Proximty Alarms

Unread post by terry-uk »

Proximity alarms for waypoints on my Oregon 750 do not always work and I’ve not been able to ascertain the reason. I never had any problems with my old Oregon 600 so wonder if there is new setting I’m missing or could this be a bug. The waypoints were created in Basecamp and sent to the GPSr. I’ve conducted experiments on my local walking path with proximity waypoints very accurately placed with large 50 feet radius and good GPS satellite signal. Sometimes the alarms sound as expected and sometimes they don’t. Has anybody else experienced this inconsistency?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Waypoint Proximty Alarms

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Sounds very similar to the issues GPSMAP 66 users are having (see GPSMAP 66 Bug 39).

As the GPSMAP 66 clearly uses the Oregon 7x0 operating system slightly tweaked for use with the different hardware, I am not surprised to hear this.

Which firmware version is your Oregon 7x0 running?

Do you still have your Oregon 6x0? Any other modern Garmin GPSr?

What process exactly are you using to create proximity alarms and send them to the Oregon 7x0? Sounds like you are only using waypoints with proximity warnings enabled in BaseCamp, which i snot exactly the same issue as the GPSMAP 66, which for many fails to alert for proximity alarms sent to the device using POI Loader.

Any additional information you can provide will be very useful!
terry-uk

My Oregon 750 firmware is version 4.0 which I know is not the latest but I’m always loathe to update unless there’s a good reason: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! The Oregon 600 has version 3.60 firmware. And, in case its relevant, my BaseCamp is 4.7.0

After opening a waypoint in BaseCamp I enter a 50 ft radius in the Proximity field under the Properties tab. A red circle appears around the waypoint on the map. With the GPSr connected to the computer by USB cable I use BaseCamp to send the waypoint to the Oregon 750.

Because I already have Tones and Proximity Tones turned ON by default and all alarms are enabled, I don’t make any changes on the GPSr itself. The list of waypoints together with the size of the radius can be seen via the Proximity Alarms app. A yellow circle surrounds the waypoint on the GPSr map. If I zoom in to 40, 25 or 15 yards as I walk, it’s possible to see the vehicle cursor cross the circumference of the circle. The issue is intermittent. On one occasion the waypoint pop-up message appeared but there was no accompanying sound. To ensure the alarm can be heard, I’ve been using the very loud Tone 8 screetch!

Unless anyone has a clue about what might be causing this problem, I might update to the latest firmware to see if that fixes it.
terry-uk

Updating the firmware to 4.40 has fixed the problem! :)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

That's good to hear! Thanks for the update!

Return to “Oregon 7x0”