Does the 700's fix this 600 bug?

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
sduck

Does the 700's fix this 600 bug?

Unread post by sduck »

Great to see this new forum!

I'm curious about something with the 700 series - does it have that awful bug the 600's do, where in 1 out of 10 start ups it'll need to reload all your geocaching pocket queries and whatever GPX files like they were new or something? It takes forever, and you're essentially locked out of using your GPS for that time.

I'm on the fence about upgrading - and would be swayed in a very positive way if they've fixed this.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Does the 700's fix this 600 bug?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I have not experienced that issue, and, while I do not have concrete evidence yet, I believe the processor on the 7x0 is a little faster, so indexing tasks go quicker! The USB interface seems much quicker compared to my 6x0 units.

Having used Garmin GPSr to geocache for more than a decade now, the Oregon 7x0 is my absolute favorite for that task. Having said that, I do still sometimes take my 650 with me also, loaded with my own database (GSAK export), as the 7x0 currently will not load any new information for geocaches that are already present on the unit when it is booted, and the live download only loads the last 5 logs for each geocache it does update. The 650 provides me the ability to have all my GSAK info and more than 5 logs available at all times.

The 7x0 wiki is currently in process, some parts of it will be up soon, but largely the 7x0 is just like the 6x0, with a few updates/upgrades, and without some features, like Geocaching with photos.
sduck

Unread post by sduck »

Quite a few people have reported experiencing this same bug to me - in fact every single 600 user I've run into. Many well respected geocachers. It would be good to hear from someone who's experienced this reloading "feature" on the 600, and if they've experienced the same with the 700s.
Yogazoo

Unread post by Yogazoo »

Data point: I have never experienced this on the 700 series.
Benzer

Unread post by Benzer »

Yogazoo wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:20 am Data point: I have never experienced this on the 700 series.
I have a couple of times.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”