Oregon 700 "pushing heart strap into running mode"

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
mccross

Oregon 700 "pushing heart strap into running mode"

Unread post by mccross »

I use a Scoshe Rhythm24 heart rate arm strap. The Scosche also measures cadence. It has a cycling mode and a running mode. I set the Scosche into cycling mode to use when I'm cycling with my Oregon. I use a Garmin cadence sensor and the Oregon connects to this. However, when the Oregon is looking for the Garmin sensor, the Scosche always switches to running mode. Scosche tech support says:

This is a function of the Garmin and its ANT+ signal pushing our R24 into running mode. The Garmin Oregon 700 must think they are going on a hike (running for us to capture steps) and pushes the Rhythm24 into this mode. From what I can find Garmin promotes the Oregon 700 as a hiking handheld GPS device. So, it might not be set up for cycling and that could be why the ANT+ signal is pushing our device into run mode.

Does anyone know if this makes sense? The Oregon lists the sensor it is looking for as "Bike Cadence Sensor". I can't even find an ANT+ protocol specific to a running cadence sensor when I look at the list of device protocols on the ANT+ website.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Oregon 700 "pushing heart strap into running mode"

Unread post by GPSrChive »

While I certainly am not well versed in all the details of ANT+ data transfer, I can not imagine that a Garmin GPSr can command a Non-OE device to behave differently than it is designed. I think this is a bug for the device that is changing modes without being instructed to do so. You can certainly use both cadence and heartbeat sensors simultaneously with the Oregon 7x0 (I have), so I think this falls to Scoshe to resolve.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”